Skip to main content

Indy Man Beer Con - it was THAT good


I think the last few articles I’ve written regarding beer festivals have always mentioned how bored I’ve become of some of the annual ones;  in the same old routine, same locations, same problem with keeping enough decent beer for the people who could only make it at the weekend to try. So, like so many others I’ve seen discussing it online, I was pretty darn excited when I heard about the Independent Manchester Beer Convention.

It just so happened to fall in beautifully with a week off work I’d booked much longer ago and so I decided to head for the Friday afternoon Lite session just to be one of the first through the door.

Any reservations I was having about the event when the adverts first arrived (too many people were selling it to me as a celebration of “craft”) were dismissed once the location was announced as the Victoria Baths. Being born and bred in the Manchester region, I’ll admit the building was not one I knew much about but others did and, after speaking to them, I knew it’d be right up my street. I wasn’t disappointed. The fact that it has remained so untouched and mostly intact was terrific. I can also be a bit of a geek for grand architecture and spending the first hour of the festival, with a relevant drink, exploring the building was pure joy. I enjoyed descending into the pool to the keg bars but equally enjoyed having a beer high in the benches or even in one of the changing stations.

 
(Drinking in the cellar; in the ping pong room; and in a changing booth)
 
Then there was the beer list. Never have I ever been to a beer festival where I’ve had to be so careful about what I was ordering, only because I had a four hour limit. Because never before have I been to a festival where I could have returned with ANY beer from the list knowing it would be a good choice. I tried to start sensibly, staying in the cask room for over an hour to resist the lure of everything on keg, but once I’d had Bitches Brewing’s Chocolate & Chilli Stout I knew where I’d be staying.

Then there were the people; volunteers, brewers and punters alike. No sullen faces. No lonely drinkers scouring the list with a frown on their face from the corner. Very FEW backpacks. But a lot of very happy beer lovers smiling, laughing, toasting. The only frown I received was an ironic sigh from a Magic Rock brewer disappointed that I’d chosen a Nǿgne over his beer. I actually felt a little guilty… (But come on guys, I’ve put a LOT of money in your pockets this past year.)

THEN there was the food. Good beer deserves good food. Great beer deserves a great selection of food and honestly Dirty Dogs and Fire and Salt BBQ occasionally turned my attention away from the beer.

It was just perfect. The branded souvenir glass was just an added bonus. The way I geeked out over the tiny branded tokens was embarrassing, but it’s so much better than some little bingo type card. I wish I’d booked the Friday late session too, just to have experienced some of the talks and other events, as well as work my way across the rest of the bar. But at least I was left wanting more next year.

 
(Brewdog Room; our final beers including Sunturnbrew; a lonely third of Kernel Red Brick)
Choosing beers of the event is a very difficult call. Forced to choose then, as a big smoked beer fan, the NǿgneSunturnbrew probably wins, and just happened to be the one I rounded my time off with. Though the Bitches Brewing, Magic Rock Cannonball Tequila and BrewDog San Diego Scotch Ale were outstanding as well. I’ll stop short of making us all sick and saying ‘everyone was a winner’ but the truth is that you could submit any of the beers available at this festival into a regular one and they would probably win Champion Beer of the Festival. But ‘spoilt for choice’ is never a bad thing. If they don’t bring it back next year, then I’m ripping it off and doing it myself.  Though I’d never be able to make it this good.  










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Children and Dogs in Pubs and Bars

  I once took my niece to the pub. She was either 1 or 2 years of age. I often looked after her on Saturdays and on one of our weekly walks, for the first time, I stopped by the local pub, mainly because my friend was there with his daughter of similar age. The two kids got on well together and it was a lovely couple of hours; a perfect showcase of adult friends and their children existing in public houses. But my sister was furious. She didn’t rant or rave but her lips were purser than a 90s children’s show teacher. It was here that I learned of the effect that our childhood had had upon her. She recalls many an afternoon being bored in the corner of pubs that our Dad had dragged us to, arms folded in the corner with nothing to do, and she doesn’t want the same for her children. The idea of her first born being taken to pubs infuriates her; fearful that they would be subjected to the same unhappy experiences that she was.  I don’t recall those times in the same way as my s

The Ten Pubs That Made Me - Part 3: Dr Okell's / My Foley's Tap House and Leeds

A pint in Mr Foley's Tap House from December 2022     This is Part 3 (the fourth post) of an ongoing project. Please see the beginning of Part 0 for details.    Come the end of this journey, there may be a lesson in procrastination that I am unlikely to heed. These posts stem from a list that I made three years ago and a series that I embarked on 18 months ago. We’ve only now reached a 30% completion rate and with this post we are back to fail for the second time.   This odyssey began with a trip to Mr Foley’s Tap House in February 2022 – named Dr Okell’s bar on my first visits in 2005 – only to discover that it was closed. It did reopen by the time that the post was coming out and I managed a brief visit in December 2022. However, my July 1 st 2023 trip to Leeds, on which this post is based, is met with this sign at the door of the bar:      A quick check of social media shows an Instagram post from the day before (June 30 th ) announcing the closure of the

"They Had Their Issues, So..."

      There’s a set of garages to rent as storage units near my workplace. One of them is taken by a local florist that uses it to store flower arrangements for various events, that are more often than not funerals.   As such, at least once a week at 8am I will pass a car being loaded up with flowers arranged into heart shaped patterns or the letters M U M. It is a grounding reminder that, as I mentally grumble my way through the upcoming arbitrary grievances of my ordinary working day, a group of family and friends locally is going through the hardest time. It provides much needed perspective on days when I could do with being reminded of all that I have to be thankful for.   These little moments explain to me why it is possible for us to share a communal loss when a celebrity passes away. Grief is often a personal and lonely experience, shared between a minority of people in your life. When a co-worker loses a relative or friend, it has little affect on me, bar signing of