Skip to main content

CAMRA hates hops. CAMRA hates Micros. So say themselves.


This is a judgmental title and I will immediately admit that I am generalising with it. It’s not something I actually believe. However, I am having a little rant and a dig at my dear uncle in this post and therefore feel I have the right to say as I please.

I don’t agree with some of the CAMRA bashing that has gone on in recent years. Though I have never, and will never, be a member, I applaud the work they do, changes they’ve brought and know quite a few who are supportive and active volunteers. But you can’t defend the indefensible and I’m afraid that often CAMRA members become their stereotype and don’t help themselves.

My Uncle Dave was once chairman of his local CAMRA branch, (from Dewsbury but I don’t know which sect that is and won’t name it purposely.) He was a man who introduced me to many different beers and pubs and someone who I’ve often enjoyed having a pint with. Not only has he taken me to different beer festivals and taught me about different styles but he also introduced me to many of the Belgian and German beers that really taught me to appreciate every continental beer style. He has drunk ale since his teens and has worked as hard as other CAMRA members to see it reintroduced into many a pub.

But I’m starting to think my Uncle doesn’t like beer.

Certainly the last few times I’ve been drinking with him he hasn’t seemed to have enjoyed anything. The beers – rubbish. The pubs – rubbish. The choices – rubbish.

So this Saturday I went out with him, and a few others, for a few pints around Huddersfield. This would be, on a normal occasion, anything but a chore. But, due to recent form, a chore is what I expected and a chore is what I got.

We started in the Sportsman, a pub my uncle has long disliked, mainly because it has the CHEEK to brew its own beer on site, as well as offering a large range of other options. My uncle has long hated the Sportsman’s micro brewing company and their beers, but, to prove a point, he TWICE opted to purchase one. Needless to say, he had nothing nice to say about them. Constantly critical. CAMRA would not stand for this quality of beer, as I understand. But since he is aware he doesn’t like the beer, why even buy it?

Next, I insisted we went to the new Hand Drawn Monkey Beer Shop, knowing full well my uncle would disapprove. On arrival we find that both cask pumps are from Mallinsons and both keg pumps are Summer Wine. Even I’m disappointed by this lack of variety in my choice. Even so, I happily opt for 2/3’s of Summer Wine Barista. My uncle opts for…nothing. “I don’t like Mallinsons,” he exclaims despite never trying either beer on offer here. His wife, my Aunt, wants a Barista, but “doesn’t want 2/3’s of it.” Luckily it’s available in bottles – 330ml bottles. Two thirds of a pint is 380ml. So for the sake of 50ml, my Aunt makes the point to the “modern thinking” bar staff. Apparently, that extra 50 ml is too much…

We move onto the Rat and Ratchet, a pub my Uncle used to love. They are having a beer festival, this is perfect. Well so you would think. 16 cask pumps to go along with the 12 already available on the bar. 28 beers, and can this former CAMRA branch chairman find a beer? “I’ve opted for Rudgate Mild because the rest are all from Micros I’ve never heard of.” How exactly does a micro become macro if nobody drinks their beer, I ask? “Micro’s beers are too thin,” is my only response, even though he hasn’t tried any.

So we move onto the Grove. My beloved Grove. A place where we’ve celebrated my Uncle’s birthday a couple of times, working our way through the cask board and bottled beer menu. But this was five or six years ago and beer has changed since then. And in his opinion, changed for the worse.

He doesn’t like the look of any of the beers on offer on an extensive cask board. He won’t even look at the keg board because, God forbid, one of those delicious beers will murder his unborn children. The bottle menu remains forgotten because why look for something you like when you can complain about things you don’t? I have four beers from the keg menu and enjoy every single one. My Uncle looks on in disappointment.

Is he a one off? No. The current chairman of this branch was found in the Rat and Ratchet complaining to the owner of the Hand Drawn Monkey Shop about the apparently controversial 2/3’s measurement. We see him at various points of the evening, always cantankerous.

My Uncle’s friend, a long standing CAMRA member, is also out. He too doesn't like Mallinsons and I have an inkling it is more to do with who brews their beer, rather than the taste. He also has a Moor Top in one pub and immediately exclaims that Buxton Brewery “don’t know what they are doing with hops,” which is absolute poppycock. If you don’t like a particular beer or style, there is no need for such generality.

Which is why I have no qualms about generalising with CAMRA so broadly. Too many of your members do nothing to change the opinions so many have in place about your organisation. Beer is a broad perspective, but too many want it limited to Bitter and Mild. I love a good Rudgate Mild as much as a man who has been drinking real ale for 60 years, but if that is your limitation then that is your choice. Not ours. I love my Uncle, but he is, what I will describe as, a beer racist. He's the beer equivalent of an elderly neighbour who shakes his head muttering "the youth of today..." If it was brewed post 1990, it may as well be drain water. If a British beer uses foreign hops, it may as well come with a burning Union flag effigy. If a traditional pub adopts to current trends and progresses, it may as well close. I needn't worry about him seeing this and being offended, because an opinion of beer is only worth reading if it's printed in the Opening Times. But then, this fancy internet malarky's a little bit too modern anyway...

Comments

Unknown said…
Maybe your uncle loves beer and knows exactly what he loves? Just because he's CAMRA and you're not, it seems strange to label your differences in that way.
Seems everything you say is about your Uncle, I cant see that very much or any of it can be attributed to CAMRA as an organisation. Your justification that CAMRA is at fault because people have an opinion about them is totally flawed. People have opinions about Mancunians does that mean the people of Manchester are at fault?
wee beefy said…
Your Uncle's determination to not enjoy himself made me laugh but this sounds more like an issue related to his life outlook rather than his affiliations or membership.

If it helps, I have never had a good Sportsman brewery beer, but I rate the pub. I love Mallinsons, but can't get excited about anything but dark Ratchet beer and even then its unlikely to appeal. Summer Wine are fantastic sometimes and slightly off target others. And finally, I would like to try a 2/3 but haven't had the opportunity, and the Grove is amazing.

I am sharing this because I am not a CAMRA member, but crucially that does not define me anymore than your Uncle defines them. My liking or disliking the brewers and pubs you like is representative of my life outlook and personal preference, not the fact that I am not a CAMRA member. The "Non CAMRA member" is a broad church...
Mark Johnson said…
It's only really because he was branch chairman for so long. But I start the post admitting I was generalising and respect CAMRA. This post references the even of one evening and if I was really trying to drive some point home I could give plenty of examples from the last few months. But I don't want to do that.
Mark Johnson said…
I was saying that he is very much the stereotype some give CAMRA members so they do exist. Again, I said I was generalising. My own Dad, Uncle's brother, for example is nothing like this at all and has been involved in CAMRA for just as long.
Mark Johnson said…
I've never enjoyed a Sportsman's own brewed beer either, but as I know this I don't order them. I wanted the post to be a humourous retelling of his attitude so I'm glad it came across that way. I didn't mean to offend. It was an unthought through rant perhaps
BryanB said…
Just because your uncle was a branch chairman does not make him more or less typical of CAMRA generally. Branch chairman of any voluntary membership organisation is an often-thankless task that's hard work, and sometimes the only ones willing to do it are the ones with the strongest, most fixed opinions. I've known other CAMRA branch chairman who could be miserable old b's like your uncle, but were in no way typical of their branch members. It's just that none of the rest were willing to do the job, they would rather mock the one who was.
Tandleman said…
I think others have said it in a roundabout way, but I'll say it directly. What a load of bollocks.
Gazza Prescott said…
I think you have something there... maybe the fact he is in CAMRA is coincidence, but there are a hell of a lot of older members who think just like this. it's like they wish they could turn back time to when pubs only sold mild and bitter made with English hops.
Gareth said…
It's a tricky one. Tarring the whole of Camra on the strength of one or two members isn't right, but there can't be many people who would read this and not think 'Actually I know someone a bit like that.'

I've often been surprised when I find out some people are in Camra. It's often the ones that thrust the fact that they are members upon you whose opinion about beer I value rather less.
wee beefy said…
Not offended, that would be a bit fragile of me! I'm just glad someone else noticed the Sportsman output is dire.

I was amused by how much your uncle sounds like my Dad when he has proper mardys on. I think I feel a post coming on....

Popular posts from this blog

Children and Dogs in Pubs and Bars

  I once took my niece to the pub. She was either 1 or 2 years of age. I often looked after her on Saturdays and on one of our weekly walks, for the first time, I stopped by the local pub, mainly because my friend was there with his daughter of similar age. The two kids got on well together and it was a lovely couple of hours; a perfect showcase of adult friends and their children existing in public houses. But my sister was furious. She didn’t rant or rave but her lips were purser than a 90s children’s show teacher. It was here that I learned of the effect that our childhood had had upon her. She recalls many an afternoon being bored in the corner of pubs that our Dad had dragged us to, arms folded in the corner with nothing to do, and she doesn’t want the same for her children. The idea of her first born being taken to pubs infuriates her; fearful that they would be subjected to the same unhappy experiences that she was.  I don’t recall those times in the same way as my s

"They Had Their Issues, So..."

      There’s a set of garages to rent as storage units near my workplace. One of them is taken by a local florist that uses it to store flower arrangements for various events, that are more often than not funerals.   As such, at least once a week at 8am I will pass a car being loaded up with flowers arranged into heart shaped patterns or the letters M U M. It is a grounding reminder that, as I mentally grumble my way through the upcoming arbitrary grievances of my ordinary working day, a group of family and friends locally is going through the hardest time. It provides much needed perspective on days when I could do with being reminded of all that I have to be thankful for.   These little moments explain to me why it is possible for us to share a communal loss when a celebrity passes away. Grief is often a personal and lonely experience, shared between a minority of people in your life. When a co-worker loses a relative or friend, it has little affect on me, bar signing of

The Ten Pubs That Made Me - Part 3: Dr Okell's / My Foley's Tap House and Leeds

A pint in Mr Foley's Tap House from December 2022     This is Part 3 (the fourth post) of an ongoing project. Please see the beginning of Part 0 for details.    Come the end of this journey, there may be a lesson in procrastination that I am unlikely to heed. These posts stem from a list that I made three years ago and a series that I embarked on 18 months ago. We’ve only now reached a 30% completion rate and with this post we are back to fail for the second time.   This odyssey began with a trip to Mr Foley’s Tap House in February 2022 – named Dr Okell’s bar on my first visits in 2005 – only to discover that it was closed. It did reopen by the time that the post was coming out and I managed a brief visit in December 2022. However, my July 1 st 2023 trip to Leeds, on which this post is based, is met with this sign at the door of the bar:      A quick check of social media shows an Instagram post from the day before (June 30 th ) announcing the closure of the