Skip to main content

Since when was defining a beer’s style and definition definitive?


Before I begin, let me just warn you that this is a bit of a rant. I could have taken the time to form this into a well-thought-out and constructive argument, with quotes, pictures and tastings to back up my thoughts, but because this is mainly going to be contradictory, I’d rather just spew this broken bile in one go.

Let me also say that this will scapegoat the likes of Magic Rock, Summer Wine, Marble and Millstone, which are all breweries I love. And it’s for this reason that I know their beers so well and am using them as my examples. They are still amongst my favourites, no matter what is said in the next few paragraphs.

This stems from a conversation with my brother surrounding Magic Rock’s latest offering, Clown Juice. But let me take you back a few years first. In 2009/10 used to work just 100 yards from the Marble Brewery owned Marble Arch in Manchester and would be in there at least once a week. I got to know their beers well and frequently enjoyed pints of Summer Marble, Manchester Bitter, Pint, Dobber, No. 7, Liberty etc… What I really enjoyed about tasting these beers is what I still ineloquently describe as “the Marble Taste”, i.e. I could taste one of their offerings and think, “Yes, this is definitely a Marble beer.

Whether it was the hops, malt, yeast, whatever, Marble beers had a very distinctive characteristic, no matter what the style. And that is the point, I never really cared what style the beer was, nor did the pumpclip care to instruct me. You see, Marble were pumping out a lot of these beers that were, arguably, similar in style, but they all tasted very different. They all had individuality but at the same time had “the Marble Taste.”

This is why Marble are one of my favourite breweries.

When Magic Rock launched last year and hit us with Curious, Rapture, Dark Arts, High Wire and Cannonball, they were all fantastic, but what impressed me most is that, whether low grav pale ale, strong double IPA or stout, the beer’s all retained a similar characteristic, The Magic Rock Character. I really respected the fact they had an identity, instinctly putting them alongside their Manchester brothers at Marble.

So this debate arose surrounding Clown Juice. On it’s own, it’s a nice beer, a great beer in fact, but I couldn’t help being slightly disappointed. Why? Because it said Magic Rock on the label. And for me, it didn’t have any of their character. It’s a good India Wit bier, and it seems to be the trend to make one at the minute, but it also could have been brewed by any other brewer for my reckoning.

And this is my next problem. Beer styles. Why are they so definitive now? It’s almost as if every new brewery has a list of styles in front of them that they were told they must have. We must have ONE American Pale, ONE IPA, ONE DIPA, ONE Black IPA, ONE Imperial Stout and ONE Red Ale. Once they’ve worked through this list, they turn the page. “OK lads, next it’s brown ales, imperial witbiers and milk stouts.” Summer Wine, another favourite brewery of mine, seem to be falling a little guilty to this at the minute (just to remind you, I reference them, only because I hold them in such high esteem.) You brew one style of beer, that everybody’s already done, and then move on to the next.

Back to the Marble Arch, and the point that Marble were not defining their beer in such a way that limited them to just one style. Behind the scenes, perhaps they have distinguished between them and some beers do have characteristics in common with American style Pale Ales and IPA’s. But they didn’t need to define them as such. My ever faithful and local Millstone brewery are another great example of this, making at least 6 really good, hoppy English bitters with similar atmospheres, but they are all individually different. You don’t need just one of each style.

You probably read this as the ramblings of a madman and perhaps they are such. Maybe breweries don’t need their own identity if the beer is great. If you can make a fabulous Imperial Stout and beautiful Best Bitter with the only parallel ingredient being water, then what does it matter? But I, personally, respect breweries more when they retain their personality. Clown Juice is a great beer. Go out and try it. I’ve heard others say it’s just as hoppy as their other beers.  I’d enjoy it that little bit extra if I could somehow see how those hands also crafted High Wire as well. But I’m just one guy with his own opinions and I’d still order both in a hurry.

Comments

Unknown said…
What I find with the likes of Magic Rock and Summer Wine is that they are inspired by the beers of other brewers that they've tasted and then want to brew something similar but with their original spin. Not so much a case of ticking every page in the style guide, more stretching their repertoire.

They also explicitly reference styles on their clips as such styles are very marketable within the niches in which they operate.

Popular posts from this blog

Children and Dogs in Pubs and Bars

  I once took my niece to the pub. She was either 1 or 2 years of age. I often looked after her on Saturdays and on one of our weekly walks, for the first time, I stopped by the local pub, mainly because my friend was there with his daughter of similar age. The two kids got on well together and it was a lovely couple of hours; a perfect showcase of adult friends and their children existing in public houses. But my sister was furious. She didn’t rant or rave but her lips were purser than a 90s children’s show teacher. It was here that I learned of the effect that our childhood had had upon her. She recalls many an afternoon being bored in the corner of pubs that our Dad had dragged us to, arms folded in the corner with nothing to do, and she doesn’t want the same for her children. The idea of her first born being taken to pubs infuriates her; fearful that they would be subjected to the same unhappy experiences that she was.  I don’t recall those times in the same way as my s

"They Had Their Issues, So..."

      There’s a set of garages to rent as storage units near my workplace. One of them is taken by a local florist that uses it to store flower arrangements for various events, that are more often than not funerals.   As such, at least once a week at 8am I will pass a car being loaded up with flowers arranged into heart shaped patterns or the letters M U M. It is a grounding reminder that, as I mentally grumble my way through the upcoming arbitrary grievances of my ordinary working day, a group of family and friends locally is going through the hardest time. It provides much needed perspective on days when I could do with being reminded of all that I have to be thankful for.   These little moments explain to me why it is possible for us to share a communal loss when a celebrity passes away. Grief is often a personal and lonely experience, shared between a minority of people in your life. When a co-worker loses a relative or friend, it has little affect on me, bar signing of

The Ten Pubs That Made Me - Part 3: Dr Okell's / My Foley's Tap House and Leeds

A pint in Mr Foley's Tap House from December 2022     This is Part 3 (the fourth post) of an ongoing project. Please see the beginning of Part 0 for details.    Come the end of this journey, there may be a lesson in procrastination that I am unlikely to heed. These posts stem from a list that I made three years ago and a series that I embarked on 18 months ago. We’ve only now reached a 30% completion rate and with this post we are back to fail for the second time.   This odyssey began with a trip to Mr Foley’s Tap House in February 2022 – named Dr Okell’s bar on my first visits in 2005 – only to discover that it was closed. It did reopen by the time that the post was coming out and I managed a brief visit in December 2022. However, my July 1 st 2023 trip to Leeds, on which this post is based, is met with this sign at the door of the bar:      A quick check of social media shows an Instagram post from the day before (June 30 th ) announcing the closure of the